In today’s article we are going to put aside prejudices that a child must be calm, quiet, serious, realistic, a good boy/girl, he must not talk nonsense, be like all people, an ordinary person and so on and so forth, and focus on the importance of creative mind development in babyhood.
But first, let’s consider the title by piecemeal: what creativity is, what creative mind is necessary for, and why it is better to develop it in babyhood but not at later age.
What is creative mind?
American psychologist Erich Fromm proposed the following definition of creativity: “It is the ability to wonder and to learn, the ability to find solutions to unusual situations, to focus on the discovery of something new and the ability to deeper understand one’s own experience.”
Creativity is a very broad concept. It includes a number of components and features. The main indicators of creativity are the fluency and flexibility of thought, originality, curiosity, accuracy, courage.
Let’s consider these in details.
• Fluency of thought is a number of ideas emerging per a unit of time.
• Flexibility of thought is the ability to rapidly and easily switch from one idea to another one; to see that information obtained in one context can be used in another one. Flexibility helps to easily find different methods of solving tasks and not to get hung up on the same one.
• Originality is the ability to emerge extraordinary and surprising ideas that differ from the generally accepted ones.
• Curiosity is the ability to wonder, to be interested in everything new and to be open to it.
• Accuracy is the ability to improve a creative idea or approach by adding necessary details; to complete a solution of a task in a logical and adequate way and in a full compliance with the goal.
• Courage is the ability to make decisions in uncertain situations, to bring a matter to a close even when risking one’s personal success and reputation.
Importance of creative mind
Creative skills are just necessary in the life of every person. Of course, all children are different. Some have creative skills well developed from birth, while creativity of others is poorly developed. But, in any case, a person who strives for development and new knowledge will easier interact with others, he will feel much more confident and successful.
A person with creative abilities is able to find something unusual in the most ordinary things, is able to put acquired knowledge to use, has free imagination, fantasy, intuition and mental alertness.
It is very important that parents pay attention to their child and develop creativity in him from the very early childhood. If everything is done correctly, these creative skills will certainly come in handy in the near future. A person can create an individual interior design, write a unique script, or paint a beautiful picture.
A child easily learns new things, acquires new knowledge. Therefore, it is important to develop creative thinking and love for creativity in your child from the early childhood. In order to raise a comprehensively developed a child, then you need to start doing this in the first year of life.
How to develop creativity in your baby?
Role plays, manipulating toys and painting are of great use for this purpose.
1. When often playing role plays your baby will get accustomed to imagine, create new situations and solutions to different tasks from the very babyhood, that will make his further life much easier.
2. When manipulating objects, give your baby a toy and don’t show him how to use it properly but let him first find his own ways and variants of manipulating it.
3. Drawing or painting is a kind of creativity that can be practiced from the very babyhood. And it does not matter, whether your little one holds a brush confidently or not. The most important thing is that the baby feels how the world around him is changing. He must understand that a dash, circle or scribble is his work. And here he will be “covered” by a wave of creativity that can eventually bear some fruit.
Of course this is not a full list; here you can use your own fantasy and creativity to enlarge it with more games and activities.
Now let’s consider how gifted children differ from others and what parents should avoid doing when raising children.
The distinctive features of gifted children
1. They are extremely curious as to what’s inside this or that object. They are able to keep their eye on several processes simultaneously and tend to actively explore everything around.
2. Excellent memory combined with early language development helps them to accumulate a large amount of information and use it.
3. They have a large vocabulary. However, they often invent their own words just for fun.
4. They strongly dislike being imposed a ready answer.
5. When having passion for a task combined with the lack of experience they do the things they are not yet able to do. They need to be supported but not just cared of.
6. They have a strong sense of justice.
7. They have high demands on themselves and others.
8. They have a great sense of humor.
Mistakes parents do when raising gifted children
1. Parents often expect too much from their children.
2. Parents are often unable to find the right approach to their children.
3. Parents give too much tasks to their gifted children.
4. Parents perceive their gifted children as a means to achieve their own ambitions or compensation of unrealized aspirations.
5. Such children are often “the idol of the family” that affects negatively as the child so his brothers and
And the last thing I want to tell you, dear parents, is that your task is to encourage any creativity of your child and to help by giving an advice but not to interfere in the process and maybe someday your little one will become a great person.