Every time when diapering the baby, parents are happy this hygiene means is invented, for it makes their life easier and saves their time. The only thing it’s necessary to store and use the diapers the proper way for both parents and the baby to feel even better.
– Place an open package with the diapers close the baby changing table or another specific piece of furniture (chest, table) you use to dress, swaddle, lubricate the baby, etc.
– When opening the package, do not fuss. In a slightly open one the diapers feel better than in the fresh air. Experience shows that diapers can fall on the floor, break, be doused with milk. In general, they get dirty before they are soiled by the child.
– If the package has become unusable, put the diapers into a box or a plastic bag.
– If you purchased the diapers for future use, remember: diapers do not like changes in humidity and ambient air temperature, especially high humidity. It is not desirable to store diapers on the balcony, in the kitchen and the bathroom. Store them in a dry and warm place.
Putting on a diaper
– a baby changing table;
– a piece of oilcloth;
– a nappy;
– wet wipes for babies (if you’re not at home) or access to warm water (at home);
– cotton balls;
– a piece of soft cloth like flannel;
– a diaper.
1. Put the child on the changing table her tummy up. Remember: under no circumstances leave your child of any age alone lying on the changing table. When diapering, be at arm’s length to her and don’t watch TV at this time.
2. Make sure the body part that will be covered by a diaper is clean and dry. If it is wet and dirty – respectively, wash it and dry (details are a bit below).
3. Take a diaper in your hands and find out where both the front and the back parts are. Manufacturers of diapers help parents understand that. For this purpose, there is a bright colored strip on the front surface of a diaper.
4. Take the child with one hand by the legs and slightly lift her bottom, slip the diaper with the other hand. Lower the baby’s bottom and make sure it is on the diaper. If necessary, correct the position of the diaper (right – left, up – down). As a result, the part of the diaper that is located under the back should be at the kid’s waist level.
Note: when lifting the child’s legs, you should control yourself and don’t raise them too high, so that there is no additional load on the kid’s cervical spine. If you are not confident in your abilities, you can do this procedure other way – open a diaper, put it on the table and only then put the child on the diaper.
5. Fasten symmetrically both the right and the left clasps in turn. Gently stretch the elastic bands on the baby’s legs; make sure there’s no inconvenience for her skin.
6. If you diaper a baby boy, put his penis downwards and only then fasten the diaper. Thus, the liquid won’t flow out of the diaper.
6. A final control: the diaper is evenly attached to the body, there are no obvious distortions; it’s possible to insert a moms’ index finger or a daddy’s little finger between the diaper and the abdominal skin of the baby.
Now you’ve done everything successfully.
Since within the first month of the kid’s life diapers are used very quickly, you rapidly get experienced in diapering your child. In two weeks you’ll do this automatically and you can participate in a high-speed diapering competition.
How and when to change a diaper?
1. Necessarily change a diaper each time the baby poops – it’s a must. No matter how fast a diaper absorbs urine, it nevertheless will contact with feces resulting in formation of substances that irritate the baby’s skin. The sooner you interrupt this contact, the better.
3. Even if the baby didn’t poop, there’s a very high likelihood that the diaper is full in the morning or after walking. Therefore you should necessarily change it.
4. If you see that the skin under the diaper is wet, change it immediately.
How to change diapers
Remember: the body part that will be covered with a diaper should be clean and dry.
Before changing a diaper, make sure that on the changing table there is a piece of oilcloth and a nappy above it. Place the child, unfasten the diaper and immediately fix the clasps, so that they do not stick to the child’s skin.
The algorithm of the further actions is determined by how severely the diaper is soiled. So, there are three possible actions.
1. The child pooped. As a rule, the inner surface of the diaper is not completely soiled. Hence, you can wipe the child with the dry and clean edges of the diaper moving in the direction from the navel to the bottom. After that, remove the diaper, fold and fasten it in this position, so as not to soil the environment.
Now you can go to the bathroom and wash the child under warm running water. It is not necessary to use soap. When washing girls, be sure to wash her in the direction from the tummy to the bottom, and not vice versa.
You can bring water into the room and wash the child using cotton balls, gauze napkins, a piece of soft cloth (flannel, for example), or wet wipes for babies.
Wet wipes are especially good in the situation when the child poops and you have no access to bathroom. How great it is to have an opportunity to change a diaper in the summertime staying outdoors!
2. There is nothing suspicious on the diaper.
That is the diaper itself is obviously heavier, but its inner surface is clean and dry. The kid’s skin is also clean and dry. That means, your child peed several times. You don’t need to do anything with the kid, just change the diaper, and that’s all.
3. You found some “wetting” – the child’s skin is not dry at all because of contact with the urine, respectively, the inner surface of the diaper is also wet.
The diaper sure has exhausted its resource, and you need to immediately liquidate it.
You can do without water, but you should necessarily wipe the child with wet napkins or cotton balls, gauze napkins, or a piece of soft cloth and dry her.
Now you should understand why the diaper has got wet. Of course, the child is not to blame. There can be only two options: a) parents and b) the diaper.
More often after all, parents are to blame. They sometimes for some reason forget to monitor the diaper and don’t change it in time. This is not a tragedy, anything can happen.
But if you change the diaper and it’s got wet in a very short time, two hours for example – then you need to think things through and find out why.
– the quality of the diaper – think where you bought the diaper and of what manufacturer;
– the diaper is small for the child – buy diapers a bigger size next time;
– when diapering the boy, you placed his penis in a wrong way and urine flew wrong direction, especially when the diaper is a bit small for the kid. The navel in this situation is also not dry.
Sometimes it happens that sides of a diaper get wet. Here you should think, first of all, about the quality of the rubber bands (as a special case of the quality of the diaper in general). Or to spread them more carefully when diapering the baby next time. Well, the second possible explanation can be that the pattern of the diaper doesn’t fit your kid’s legs.