Goals of nipples and baby pacifiers differ from each other. But they have a lot in common. Both nipples and pacifiers are intended to replace mother’s breast.
Both cause heated debate among specialists and non-specialists. Finally, in spite of everything, both nipples and pacifiers were given crying babies in ancient times …
So let’s discuss how to use and care for baby pacifiers and nipples.
A pacifier is a very useful things that allows children to satisfy their sucking reflex and lets their moms do their housework. A pacifier is a necessary thing, but it is not mandatory – it’s ok if the baby doesn’t want it.
How to use a pacifier:
– keep it clean, sterilize and store it in a special jar;
– don’t lick it by yourself and don’t listen the tales about animals who lick their babies and kill all the dirt with their saliva. Animals, by the way, do not lie in the hospitals, do not smoke, do not swallow antibiotics, do not chew bubble gums, and have no holes in the teeth;
– any pacifier usually consists of three parts: a rubber nipple without a hole, the circle that limits the depth of immersion of the pacifier into baby’s mouth, and a plastic holder. The inner end of the lock extends beyond the circle and often injures baby’s gums. It is strongly recommended that you remove the lock.
There is no doubt that the milk flowing out of the bottle requires considerably less efforts than active sucking mother’s breasts. And an infant is the same person as we all are and, of course, he prefers to avoid difficulties.
In fact, problems with refusal from breast don’t exist! The difficulty is entirely different – how to ensure that both the nipple and the breast demand the same efforts from the child?
But it’s easier to overcome this difficulty than to try not to use a nipple at all or even to feed a two week old baby with a spoon.
If there’s already a hole in a purchased nipple, it is likely that you should get rid of it. And it does not matter which country made this nipple and how much it costs. It is great if you find a simple and cheap nipple, which is stretched on a bottle with a narrow neck. Firstly, absolute impermeability is provided and, second, the price of the nipple allows you to experiment as many times as you want without a risk for the family budget.
Tips on purchasing nipples and preparing them for use
1. If there’s already a hole in the nipple, then chances that it will comply with the requirements do not exceed 2% (1 of 50 nipples).
2. It is necessary to achieve the following: liquid doesn’t flow out of the inverted bottle in any way – no small or large drops, no slight flow, nothing at all. If you squeeze the wide part of the nipple the liquid in the bottle starts flowing out frequent drops.
3. This is done as follows: pierce a hole on the top of the nipple with a needle. After that, make a small crack that will comply with the requirements described in paragraph 2. It is not necessary to heat the needle. Once you have experimented with the diameter of the needle and the crack size on the top of the nipple for 2-3 times, you will make beautiful nipples.
It is necessary to have a sufficient number of nipples prepared for use. Keep them in a separate jar – a jar for nipples and a jar for pacifiers (regular jar 0,5 l with a plastic cover).
It goes without saying that pacifiers, bottles and nipples require to be cared for – clean them regularly; it is desirable to wash them with boiling water every time before you use them.