Isn’t your child yet speaking and are you looking for an advice about how to encourage his speech development as fast as possible? The main thing is that your little one should be interested, motivated to say something.
Actions to motivate your child to speak
But still remember that all children are unique and develop at their own pace, so just relax and enjoy interaction with your little one.
1. Repetition is the key to learning. Comment all your actions, name all the items around, all the phenomena in the street, say when dad, grandma or guests come. And very soon you’ll be pleased with the results.
2. Repeat what your child says. Does this child’s endless baah baah baah seem tedious? Try to repeat and say that in chorus. And you’ll see then how much fun it will seem to your child. And suddenly enthusiastically come up with a brand new “song” – doo doo doo. Does your little one repeat after you? Keep up this play sorting out all the vowels. This is not only an excellent exercise for the vocal apparatus, but an educational game as well.
3. Speech development is closely associated with fine motor skills. The fingertips and the ability to control their movements are directly related to the brain areas responsible for language development. Of course, it is too early to tie shoelaces. Let your little one play with completely different sorts of objects – round, rough, ribbed, soft, sticky, rustling, smooth, etc. The more diverse the better. It’s no secret that many children prefer not expensive developing rugs and games to play with, but ordinary jars with lids, spoons, boxes, candy wrappers and scraps. Kids love colored buttons on a thread that could be told like a rosary. Let your child choose.
4. As soon as your kid reaches the age of one year, it’s time to avoid sign language. Try not to respond when your toddler stretches out his hand or points at something with a finger and, when giving the child something, ask him to say: Give. Gradually make the task more complicated: Mom, give me a pear. Let him learn the words please and thank you.
5. Animal sounds and their imitation evoke active interest – moo-moo, woof-woof, meow-meow, etc. On the side you’ll learn many animals while examining pictures in books.
6. Communicate either with your kid’s peers who already talk or sometimes with older children. Your little one’s desire to imitate will be too much strong.
7. Sing songs. Even if you are not a good singer. Use a cunning trick – suddenly “confuse” some of the words and after a short pause rare child won’t be able to help correcting you! For example: I’m a little teapot, short and … round (brown, crowned, etc.)
8. All sorts of rhythmic and catchy verses are not only fun, but training as well. You can read the rhymes for 10 times and each time the child listens to them like for the first one. Pretend that you have forgotten some phrases in the most interesting places or the ending – and you sure will hear your little one saying them.
9. Do not ignore the child’s attempts to tell you something. Listen to him carefully and look into his eyes. You can wonder, ask him to repeat again looking very concerned: How? Show me!
And be sure to merrily clap your hands when your child says his first words – thus you motivate him to tell you whatever he sees and hears.
It’s especially useful to tell Dad for example, what happened while you were walking. That it snowed, the snow was cold, white, you could take it in your hands and Mike did so, etc. Or how you were feeding the birds, how Mike fell into a puddle, how he was riding down a slide, was playing with a girl named Ann, etc. And Dad must assent all the time and ask you to tell again while being too much surprised.
10. Try not to surround your one-year-old child with electronic toys, for thus he becomes a passive observer of a game, rather than an active participant. His fantasy and all the actions (except for pressing a button) are excluded, and the child gets used that neither the process nor the outcome of the game do not depend on him. Play balls, toy cars, cubes, pyramids, dolls.