Only when aged three years a child begins to make his first decisions and, therefore, to have the least responsibility for himself. And until that time, his parents are entirely responsible for him. Our child safety tips will help you secure your little one whenever you both are.
House: what should you hide first?
Even before your little one learns to confidently move around, you should eliminate all sources of danger, even the most minor ones. How to do that?
– First, use covers for all socket plugs. Even for those you think your kid won’t reach.
– Set up stops on all the doors. To open, to close, and to slam the doors is a favorite game of all children.
– Train yourself to cook only on the far burners. Install a stove guard.
– Do not leave hot objects in the access area: pots of food, kettle, iron, curling iron, etc.
– Install furniture corner protectors.
– If possible, hide all the wires and appliances.
– Place all the medications as high as possible. Do the same with bags for kids love to try them on the head and then have difficulties removing the bags.
– Hide all the household chemicals, alcohol, and vinegar. Be sure to remove the knives into a closet, as well as needles, scissors, buttons, coins, pins, etc.
– Ropes and belts must not become a subject of games.
– While bathing do not leave the bathroom.
– Parents often underestimate the danger of ordinary windows for little explorers. Never leave a window open, install reliable window locks, do not let your little one play on a window sill.
You can’t control every step of your kid, even if you really try! So you better be safe and secure your house or an apartment as possible as you can. You do not imagine how creative and agile young children are. You can leave the vinegar on the lower shelf. Well, it is tightly closed, and your little madcap can’t generally reach it? But one such a day you enter the kitchen and see him confidently opening the dangerous bottle? And you’ll have lots of such situations. Therefore, be careful as much as possible!
Road: mom, remember the traffic rules!
– Comply with traffic rules: do not cross the road with your child anywhere, do not run across the road, do not cross the road when the red light stats flashing.
– When crossing a busy road don’t push the stroller in front of you but next to you, and close the child from the approaching cars.
– Do not cross the zebra markings if you are not sure that all drivers are ready to give you the way. Take your child in your arms.
Playground: beware of swings!
– When on the playground, protect your child from moving swings, old constructions for games, rubbish bins, holes, and puddles. Do not let your small fidget get the ball from under the car, do it yourself.
– Protect your child from the crowd of children. Don’t allow him to climb the hill full of children, especially older ones. Do not allow your little one to take someone else’s toys without permission, the reaction of both a little owner and his mother can be unpredictable.
– Beware of groups of dogs even if they are quite far away, you better leave the playground.
Walking at different times of the year
At different seasons you should protect your child from various weather conditions and hazards they cause.
– In winter: do not let your child go and run on the ice, taste the snow, as well as swings, slides, etc. Do not allow the kid to jump into the snowdrifts, you never know what might be hidden under the soft and harmless snow.
– In spring and autumn: do not let the child run through deep puddles and thawed patches.
– In summer: protect your child from places of accumulation of insects. Do not let your child touch unfamiliar flowers and plants, pet homeless animals. Make sure that the sandbox is clean. Do not forget about a cap and often give your child drinking water, do not walk in the sun.
How not to get lost in a mall?
Nowadays, children start visiting shopping malls, exhibitions, and celebrations literally from birth, and hence, parents should know a few simple rules how to stay safe in a public place.
– Do not leave your child alone, only with the closest relatives.
– Protect your son or daughter from a large group of people in a small room. If it is inevitable, take the child in your arms.
– Sew a piece of cloth on your kid’s clothing, which will indicate his name, your phone number, your home address, an allergic reaction to medications. This can bring your child back home if he gets suddenly lost.
– For the little madcap not to get lost in a crowd of people, dress him in bright clothes! Always have your child’s picture in your purse.
– If the child did run away, do not scold him, but tell him how much you were upset and what consequences could be.
Road trips: only in the car seat!
– Never neglect the car seat! Even if the baby is crying and wants to be on your laps – do not risk his life! You better stop, leave the car, take a walk. Distract the child with something delicious or a toy.
– Place the cradle or the car seat on the safest places in the car: the middle and the right side of the passenger seat.
– When in public transport, hold handrails, beware of doors of a bus or a subway car. If you are not sure that there will be free space in transport, take the stroller.
To make sure your child is always safe do not leave him unattended for a moment whenever you are: outdoors, in the car, or at home. And do not resort to the old fashioned methods of “shock therapy”: touch and feel a hot iron. This method does not work, and what’s much worse – there’s a risk of undermining of your kid’s both health and morale. Do not say too often all parents’ favorite word: “No!” Remember, the more you forbid something, the more interesting it becomes for the child. Control your child’s every move, but insensibly, so that he doesn’t feel that.